Using Popper’s time-tested Blueprint to Launch process, we helped an international, venture-backed diagnostics company identify market opportunities for their point-of-care testing platform and created a strategy to guide the commercialization of their offerings.
Assessment of Business Needs
A molecular diagnostics company with a developed instrument platform engaged Popper and Company to evaluate unmet needs in point-of-care testing specific to infectious diseases. Using criteria related to our client’s platform, including time-to-result, limit of detection, cost and instrument footprint, our team developed a list of test menu options for further analysis. Then, after assessing the commercial and clinical value of each test, Popper and Company mapped the competitive landscape to determine the most attractive market opportunities and provided a financial model to support our recommendations to guide future development.
- Mapped existing assays to clinical guidelines.
- Designed and implemented questionnaire to administer to experts in infectious diseases.
- Conducted interviews with experts in infectious diseases.
- Summarized questionnaires and interview results.
- Assessed commercial and clinical value of specific point-of-care tests and their implications.
- Mapped competitive landscape to determine market opportunities.
- Developed financial model for point-of-care tests.
Synthesis and Outcome
Popper and Company helped align the client’s menu strategy with unmet needs in infectious diseases. Having implemented our recommendations, the client has since achieved CE marking for its test platform, has submitted several tests to FDA for 510(k) clearance, and has several additional infectious disease assays in the development pipeline to leverage and grow their installed base of instrument systems.